Helical steel pipes
Properties of Spirel pipes
The crossing of water flows and channel, wild animal crossings, buried structures – culverts, bridges, storm water detention and retention systems – can be realized with pipes.
Tubo Hungária Ltd. produces helical lock-seamed corrugated steel pipes, which has circular cross section and their diameter varies in the range of 400-3600 mm. Taking into consideration the restrictions applied by transportation, the length of these pipes are in the range of 3-13 m, the separate sections can be joined by coupling bands. TUBOSIDER uses fully corrugated coupling bands with 6 corrugations, equipped with band angle connectors. Depending of the diameter, these coupling bands are built up of 2 to 4 separate sections, which are bolted together by means of M16x200 8.8 bolt sets. To allow mounting of these coupling bands, TUBOSIDER re-corrugates the connected ends of its pipes. Re-corrugation means, that the spiral wave of the corrugation along the pipe are rerolled to form 4 full corrugations perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the pipe.
The coupling bands can be mounted both on the outside and/or the inside of the pipe.
Corrugated steel conduits have structural strength under loadings; this load bearing capacity is the result of soil and steel interaction. As flexible steel acts with the surrounding soil fill to support the loads, the quality of the soil and compaction around and over the structure must be ensured.
The dimensioning and load bearing check of our Spiral structures are performed with the use of computer software, based on the so-called AISI calculation method defined in American Iron and Steel Institute „Handbook of Steel Drainage and Highway Construction Products”.
Special fittings can be easily and economically fabricated out of CSP, enabling the most versatile solutions to be realized on site.
Fields of application
- Canalization pipes and culverts
- bridges and bridge replacements.
- rehabilitation of existing bridges, relining
- utility conduits
- Detention and retention systems
- Firewater tanks.
- Encasement and formwork for concrete foundations
Advantages of Spirel pipes
- Compared to Multiplate structures, SPirel pipe is not to be assembled on site: a ready pipe is transported, which is just positioned in its place.
- The wight of Spirel structures are around 5% of the weight of similar diameter concrete pipes, therefore even 13 m long pipes can be handled with standard construction machines, no need for special cranes.
- Using maximum 13 m long pipes, conected with simple couplers, any length of pipe can be achieved in a short time.
- By using Spirel pipe, a 10 times quicker daily progress is possible compared to the on-site assembled Multiplates structures
- With our material on stock, real quick service can be guaranted.
- We supply loadbearing or hydraulic flow calculations if required.
Connecting multiple pipes
Corrugated steel pipes have a circular cross section, are produced int he diameter range between 0,40 m – 3,60 m. According to jobsite requests and transporation restraints, the pipes are produced in length between 4 and 13 m. In order to build longer structure, the pipes are connected with 400 mm wide coupling bands, which are built of 2 to 3 segments. These couplers can be mounted ont he recorrugated ends of the pipes. For easy and quick installation, we recorrugate all adjucent pipes , this allows the connection of any 2 similar diameter pipe piece.
The couplers are tightened via set of M16x200 bolts run thru L bars welded to segments.
Corrugated steel storage tanks maintain the structural strength of CSP pipes; this load bearing capacity is the result of soil and steel interaction. As flexible steel acts with the surrounding soil fill to support the loads, the quality of the soil and compaction around and over the structure must be ensured.